Freelance writer Resume Examples
Find reliable freelance writer resume examples to help you write an outstanding resume for your next job applicationCreate your resume now
Professional Resume Samples for Freelance writer
Freelance writer Resume Tips and Ideas
Freelance writers are professionals whose main responsibility is to create articles or books on project or freelance basis. As a freelance writer, your resume should clearly demonstrate your ability to carry out the primary responsibilities of a writer, which include:
- Gathering research on specific topics
- Writing, editing, and proofreading drafts
- Creating new pages with up-to-date information
- Add links to text
- Collaborate with clients to produce work that fits their requirements
- Coordinating with the chief editor
An effective freelancer should also know how to use specific text and word editors, proofreading software, and possess excellent communication skills. To obtain a freelance writer’s job, you need to create a remarkable resume that will bring out your professional capabilities and career progress. Our resume generators will help you craft a resume with an appealing layout and appearance in minutes.
- Reverse chronological or functional.
- You can refer to our online resume templates for more details on the functional and chronological resume formats
- Neat resume design
- Margins and white space
- Formal, non-oriental layout
- Resume fonts types and size
- Subheadings and bullets
- Contact information
- Resume professional summary
- Work history
- Education background
- Additional skills and certifications
- Links to previously done projects
- Volunteer work
- Hobbies and interests
The best resume format to use depends on your level of work experience. If you have little experience because you are fresh out of school, help your recruiter to focus on your knowledge and core competencies by using the functional resume format. This format lets you start with your education and additional skills sections, and is helpful if your recruiter is more interested in what you can do.
The reverse-chronological format is excellent for writers with plenty of experience. It places the work history section at the top and is perfect for recruiters who are looking for writers with extensive portfolios. Refer to our resume templates for more information on these resume formats.
Your resume design is paramount, as it determines your hiring manager’s first impression of you. Your resume will also show your organization skills and attention to detail while writing, which is why you require a flawless, legible, and appealing resume design.
White space is a vital part of an effective resume; it ensures the document does not look stuffed and hard on the eyes. Margin and reduced formatting are effective ways of increasing white space.
For consistency, it is recommended that you apply one formal font throughout your document body. Examples of approved resume fonts you can use include Arial, Georgia, and Cambria, in legible sizes like 12.
Use subtitles to signal the start of each section and short, easy to read bulleted points to make your resume easier to skim through. Consider applying a dark background color to the columns at the far end of your resume to enhance its appearance. Finally, proofread your resume and submit it as a PDF to conserve its layout across various reading devices.
Pictures of applicants are not required while applying for freelance writer’s positions, therefore, avoid adding any photos to your resume
Sections of a Resume
Resume sections are the flesh of the document, and they provide the hiring firm with career details that will enable them to decide your suitability for their vacancy. In each section, describe yourself using positive adjectives, and be brief and straight to the point, so your points hit home. An effective freelance writer resume has the following resume sections:
- Contact information: Include your name without a title, location (city and state), and work contacts (email, mailing address, and phone number for work-related correspondence) for the recruiters to contact you. A LinkedIn profile is optional.
- Resume professional summary: a 3-4 line summary of your career goals and achievements, professional abilities and writing niches, and time spent in the workforce.
- Professional background
- Academic background
- Additional skills and certifications: any additional competencies that can make you a more suitable candidate
- Links to other projects: include access to successful projects you have done before
You can leverage your volunteer experience and internships in relevant areas to add volume to the work history section if you do not have plenty of experience. Your hobbies and interests are optional sections that depict your personality and life outside work. Include only those that portray you in a positive light.
A freelance writer resume should be one page long. One page is enough to ensure you overwhelm the recruiter with excessive and irrelevant information. Use columns to utilize your one page effectively.
Freelance writer Resume Section Headings
All the sections mentioned above are vital in your resume. However, the reader may focus on the professional and academic background sections. Below are additional tips to help you write these two sections to help you impress them:
The most vital part of your freelance writer resume is the work experience section. This section enables your recruiters to track your career progress and determine if your writing and self-expression style is a fit for their organization. Use the job description on the vacancy advertisement to help you craft a relevant work history section. Also, ensure you add your work history in reverse-chronological order.
For recruiters whose emphasis will be on the education section, this will be the next place they check after the work experience section. This section enables the hiring manager to confirm your academic qualifications are from accredited and reputable schools. A degree or diploma in a related field will be sufficient for your job application. Start this section with your highest qualification, followed by the college name and location, then years of study or year expected to graduate. If you are still in school or just graduated, indicate all the relevant courses and extra-curricular activities you have participated in that are relevant to the job. Also, include your GPA if it is stellar (3.0 and above).
Freelance writer Resume Vocabulary & Writing Tips
To come across as a proficient freelance writer, you need to enrich your resume with action verbs and vocabulary. Recruiting managers often look for these while looking for an adequately qualified writer. Below is a list of words you can use for your freelance writer resume
Words to Use
- Time management
- Web content
- Press releases
- Feature articles
- Marketing campaign
- Customer satisfaction
1. Candidate seeking freelance writer job
Result-oriented and reliable writer with five years of experience in writing informative and insightful content in the health and fitness niche. Possess remarkable writing talent and style, and have skills in primary and secondary source research and SEO writing. Hoping to join Acme Inc. to advance my writing career.
- Wrote copy content for sales, product promotions and descriptions for clients’ e-commerce sites
- Wrote informative and unique content in health and fitness on client’s blog
- Planned and conducted interviews with professionals in health and fitness who provided credible information.
- Experience5 years
- EducationBA English
2. Candidate seeking freelance writer job
Passionate and accomplished writer with over ten years of experience in writing excellent and keyword-rich content to ensure client satisfaction and increases in sales. Have a proven track record in presenting high-quality and unique marketing copy, articles, press releases, and novels in time.
- Wrote the eBook Gone for Good (link to Amazon page)
- Ran the blog moonscraft.com and used SEO techniques and social media to improve the blog’s organic traffic to three thousand readers
- Liaised with clients to create excellent web content, press releases, and feature articles in a wide variety of niches, not limited to sports, fitness, health, fashion, and diet.
- Experience10 years
- EducationDegree in journalism
Last modified on June 5th, 2020