Underwriter Resume Examples
Use our remarkable resume examples to guide you in writing an equally impressive resumeCreate your resume now
Professional Resume Samples for an Underwriter
Underwriter Resume Tips and Ideas
Underwriters work primarily for insurance, banks, and mortgage companies, where their main role is to review insurance or loan applications, analyze various risks, and determine the most profitable coverage for their employers. Your underwriter resume should demonstrate your ability to carry out these tasks:
- Screening applicants based on company criteria
- Measuring the degree of risk associated with each applicants by obtaining information from them and using specialized software
- Designing insurance policies and premiums depending on applicants’ degree of risk
This job requires strong numerical and statistical abilities, as well as attention to detail and analytical skills. Depending with your employer and the area of work (life, motor vehicle, re-insurance), you may require to have a bachelor’s degree in actuarial science, a technical field, economics, business, finance, or any other related field. Experience is also a plus; if you have just left school, you can apply for an assistant underwriter position.
If you have the qualifications above and would like to start or keep your career rolling in the right direction, you need to create a professional underwriter resume. A well-designed and formal resume will communicate your abilities to the hiring manager and convince them to call you in for an interview. You can use our resume generators and writing tips to get you a stellar resume in minutes.
- Reverse chronological.
- You can use online resume templates to avail more information on the chronological resume format
- Neat resume design
- Margins and white space
- Legibility and ease of skimming
- Resume fonts types and size
- Subheadings and bullets
- Contact information
- Resume professional summary
- Work history
- Education background
- Additional skills and certifications
- Volunteer work
- Hobbies and interests
The reverse-chronological resume format is often the best resume order for a professional underwriter resume. This resume format is widely recognized and preferred by HR managers in most fields. Using such a resume format will help you impress the manager at first glance. It also emphasizes your work experience by placing it at the very beginning of the resume.
An underwriter is expected to have impeccable organizational skills and attention to detail. Your resume format will be the first indicator of these qualities, and submitting an illegible and messy resume will eliminate any chance you had at getting an interview.
Designing a resume is as easy as having a legible, neat, and appealing resume layout. White space is crucial in ensuring your resume does not look stuffed, so ensure your design or resume template allows for plenty of it. For consistency and neatness, use one formal resume format throughout your entire document. Fonts you can apply include Georgia, Cambria, and Calibri in a legible size like (pt 12).
Using subtitles at the start of each section will guide the reader quickly to desired areas, and bulleted points will make your resume easier to skim through. Typos in a resume must be eliminated, so proofread your resume thoroughly. Finally, save it in PDF format to conserve its delicate layout across all devices.
A photo is not required on your resume as you do not need one to apply for an underwriter position.
Sections of a Resume
Resume sections are the specific parts of a resume that hold various categories of information about your professional attributes, abilities, and accomplishments. These are designed to help you organize your details in a format that is easy to read and follow. Different professions have varying requirements when it comes to resume sections. You can use these sections to provide adequate information in your underwriter resume:
- Resume header (your profession): write it in bold to avoid mix-ups in mass recruitments
- Contact information: Include your name and the contacts you use for professional purposes (email, mailing address, and phone number). Include your location (city, state, zip code).
- Resume professional summary:
- Professional background or work experience
- Academic background
- Additional skills and certifications: extra certifications or competencies that you possess and are relevant to the job requirements
The volunteer experience or internships sections help add weight to the work experience section if you just graduated and have had little time in the workforce. Your hobbies and interests are also optional, though they will provide the recruiters with an idea of your personality.
An underwriter resume should be one page long. A recruiter will take a maximum of six seconds to skim your resume, which is why you should be as brief and straight to the point as possible. Use columns to fit all your details neatly on your letter page, and do not go below font size 11.
Underwriter Resume Section Headings
This is the 3-4 line section at the top that serves as your pitch to the recruiters. This section can make or break your first impression, so be sure to use positive adjectives to portray your soft skills, your professional title, and quantifiable achievements. Refer to our resume examples for outstanding summary statement examples.
The work experience section is critical in any job application. It provides the hiring panel with proof that you can adequately handle the tasks in the vacancy as you have handled them before. For this section, ensure that you include work stints that are relevant to the advertised position. Also show your ability to cooperate with colleagues, interpersonal, numerical, and analytical skills using the right action verbs. Use 3-7 bulleted points for each position you have held in the past, and use reverse-chronological order.
Your education section helps the recruiters to determine the authenticity of your qualifications and may actually go a long way in getting you an interview. Start with your highest academic qualification, college name and location, then the years of study or year expected to graduate. If you have little experience, write the courses you are taking that are relevant to the position.
Underwriter Resume Vocabulary & Writing Tips
Action verbs are highly recommended while writing a resume; they make your sections more impactful and specific. The right vocabulary will also clarify your professional abilities and accomplishments, not to mention impress the underwriter that will be on the recruiting committee. Use these action verbs and vocabulary for your underwriter resume.
Words to Use
- Risk assessment
- Insurance proposals
- Cash flow analysis
- Debt-to-income ratios
- Account service
- Credit analysis
- Conforming/non-conforming loans
- Loan-to-Value ratios
- Insurance claim forms
- Communication skills
- Loan-volume growth
- Attention to detail
- Repayment capacity
1. Candidate seeking insurance underwriter position
Able and result-oriented underwriter with two years of experience in the corporate world of insurance. Possess remarkable numerical, analytical, and communication skills, and are looking forward to advancing my career in the prestigious Acme Insurance company.
- Performed underwriting for life assurance applications for term and permanent products
- Offered professional advice to clients concerning various forms of life assurance
- Assisted in training interns and new team members regarding company policies
- Drew up insurance policies, invoices, certificates, and endowments as per company policy
- Experience2 years
- EducationDegree in finance
- CertificationsChartered Institute of Insurance
2. Candidate seeking mortgage underwriter position
Competent and meticulous mortgage underwriter with a proven track record in risk assessment and documentation review. Have over six years of experience with a specialization in conventional and FHA loans and the ability to collaborate with team members to facilitate timely and effective compliant loan package completion.
- Demonstrate remarkable follow-up with borrowers and loan processors through all phases in the underwriting process
- Ensures that all submitted loan applications conformed to the external and internal eligibility stipulations.
- Accomplished the third-highest loan-funding rate in the 2017-2018 FY, totalling to $10 million.
- Experience6 years
- EducationDegree in economics