Survey Technician Resume Examples
Make a great survey technician resume using hand-crafted examplesBuild your resume now
Professional Resume Samples for a Survey Technician
Establish your professional profile with a survey technician resume sample
Survey Technician Resume Tips and Ideas
Survey technicians have a huge role to play in the construction industry. They help surveyors and other professionals involved in marking naturally occurring geographical features in obtaining and computing their data.
Generally, survey technician measure and map out the Earth’s natural land features and report back to surveyors. They use global positioning or GIS systems and mostly work outdoors. Their data is crucial in the development of accurate topo-geographical maps.
While outdoors, they lie out and recover markings, stakes and other instruments, then create computer images of their allocated sites. Their roles include:
- Adjusting and operating various survey instruments like prisms, theodolites and electronic distance-measuring instruments
- Run rods for benches and cross-section elevations
- Recording survey measurements and descriptive data using drawings, sketches, and inked tracings
- Perform calculations that provide insight on the earth curvature corrections, atmospheric impacts in measurements, level runs, placement of markers, and traverse closures.
- Supervise and train junior surveyors
- Storing and managing information on land-information computer systems and producing reports and plots
Many survey technicians may not have any college education, but a hiring panel will generally prefer to hire a technician with a bachelor’s degree. Learning on-the-job to get hands-on skills is also a plus to help you advance to the role of senior technician.
If you have all these qualifications, then you need to present them adequately on a professionally-written survey technician resume. A remarkable, well-designed resume is the only way to convince the hiring firm that you are the best fit for their vacancy. If writing resumes is not your strong suit, consider using our resume builders to prepare yours in a few clicks.
- Reverse chronological.
- You can use online resume templates to avail more information on the chronological resume format
- Neat resume design
- Margins and white space
- Resume fonts types and size
- Subheadings and bullets
- Contact information
- Resume professional summary
- Work history
- Education background
- Additional skills and certifications
- Volunteer work
- Hobbies and interests
- Seminars and forums attended
When writing your resume, you must select a format that emphasizes your work experience and is likely to be accepted by the HR practitioner on the recruitment panel. The best resume format to use when crafting your survey technician resume is the reverse-chronological format. This resume format is the most widely recognized and is friendly on ATS software.
When using this format, begin with a resume header, which in this case would be ‘Survey Technician,’ your current work contact information, then proceed to your work experience (still in reverse chronological order).
A survey technician job requires an individual who is high functioning, well organized, and neat; and the first indicator of these qualities is an intricately-designed, outstanding, and yet formal resume. Consider using an online resume template to get a glimpse of some excellent resume designs that you can use.
A good resume layout is easy to skim through, easy on the eyes, looks neat, and stands out from the pile of drab white paper. Consider using a maximum of two dark formal hues on your resume background. Margins and minimal formatting help to incorporate white space in your resume.
Formal resume fonts like Calibri, Georgia, and Cambria are recommended in sizes 11-13. Avoid using more than one font or font size for neatness. Use subheadings to make your resume easy to slim through. Finally, proofread your resume and save it in PDF format to conserve its design
When applying for a survey technician job, a photo on the resume is highly discouraged. Pictures may expose you to hiring bias.
Sections of a Resume
Having resume sections is the best way to separate your resume into specific areas in which you can add your qualifications and competencies. The core sections in your resume are:
- Work experience section: include all the past work stints you have had in your career along with the responsibilities and accomplishments. If you are writing a resume with little experience, you can include your internships and volunteer experience.
- Education section: list your academic qualifications
- Contact information: your current professional email address, and phone number. A LinkedIn profile is optional
- Additional skills, licensure, and abilities
- Attended forums and seminars
The maximum resume length for a survey technician resume is 1 A4 size page. The hiring manager takes less than thirty seconds to skim through your resume at the beginning, so you must include all your relevant details concisely. Consider using columns to fit all your details on the one page, and do not go below font size 11.
Survey Technician Resume Section Headings
The work experience section is the area that most recruiters focus on, mainly because this section provides an insight into the challenges you have overcome throughout your career and the value you have brought to previous employers.
When writing this section, go through the job description to ensure that you tailor your roles and responsibilities to suit exactly what they want. Hiring companies want to hire someone who is already competent enough to reduce time and resources spent in training, so make sure your work experience section fits their requirements. You should also indicate your various responsibilities and achievements for each work stint using 5-7 bullets.
While many people may downplay the importance of the education section, it is just as vital as all the other sections. When it comes to a tie, where you obtained your knowledge and skills may actually get you the job, so be sure to include this section. Start with your highest qualification (degree or diploma), the name and location of the college, and the years of study. If you are seeking an internship and are not done with school, indicate the year expected to graduate.
Survey Technician Resume Vocabulary & Writing Tips
Using the relevant keywords and action verbs is crucial for a survey technician resume. The roles of a survey technician are quite specific and technical, and using the right words will help you come across as well versed in your field. Buzzwords also make your resume seem less generic and have a greater impact. Consider incorporating these resume action verbs and buzzwords in your survey technician resume:
Words to Use
- Deed research
- Surveying techniques
- Construction survey
- Preliminary boundary resolution
- Topographic/ALTA maps
- Quality control
- Legal Boundary descriptions
- Survey crew
1. Candidate seeking survey technician position
Dependable and client-oriented survey technician with a vast range of skills in AutoCAD and Civil3D, and two years experience in the land survey field. Looking forward to joining Acme Ltd to develop my career further and offer its clients my remarkable survey skills.
- Assisted the senior survey technician in boundary, topographic and construction surveys for public and private sector clients
- Carried out surveys to establish legal boundaries for legal and title deeds
- Assisted in large site plan surveys such as those on the Junction Mall in New Jersey
- Oversaw the preparation of applications to municipal councils for construction project approval
- 2years experience
- Bachelor’s degreein GIS
2. Candidate seeking Survey technician’s job
Reliable and diligent survey technician with 5+ experience in utilizing my skills in various kinds of topological, boundary, and construction surveys for a wide range of clients. Have excellent communication and teamwork skills and will readily provide Acme Ltd clients with high-quality services for their satisfaction.
- Oversaw the setup of 3D scanners, GPS receivers and digital levels for an on-site large scale survey project
- Performed surveys on behalf of the municipal councils for project approval
- Prepared survey reports and uploaded them to the company CRM as per company policy
- Performed computerized construction point calculations during on-site field surveys
- 5years experience
- Degreein Surveying technology