Solicitor Resume Examples
Use the following professionally written resume examples to create a compelling resume for more calls to interviewsCreate your resume now
Professional Resume Samples for a Solicitor
Solicitor Resume Tips and Ideas
Solicitors are professionals in law who offer legal advice to private and public clients and act on their behalf whenever required. As a solicitor, your resume should show your area of expertise, be it family law, tax, property, or international business law. Your solicitor resume should also show your capacity to handle primary functions such as:
- Offering legal advice
- Researching cases and legislation that affect clients interests
- Liaising with other legal professionals
- Representing clients in court and other hearings
If you are looking to apply for a solicitor’s position, you need to express your qualifications and abilities in a professional solicitor resume. You can trust our resume generators to create a formal yet appealing resume in less than 15 minutes.
- Reverse chronological.
- You can use online resume templates to avail more information on the chronological resume format
- Neat resume design
- Margins and white space
- Resume fonts type and legible size
- Subheadings and bullets
- Contact information
- Resume professional summary
- Work history
- Education background
- Additional skills and certifications
- Professional affiliations
- Volunteer work
- Hobbies and interests
- Foreign languages
When writing your solicitor resume, you need to use a resume format that is widely accepted to increase your chances of impressing your panel upon their first glance at your document. There are three formats to choose from, and often, many professionals recommend the reverse-chronological format. The combination format is a relatively good option if you are returning from a hiatus or are changing specializations and careers. Still, the reverse-chronological order is a better option because it highlights your work experience and more HR professionals are familiar with it. It is also easier on ATS applications.
A solicitor, like any other professional in the field of law, is expected to possess excellent organizational skills and to express themselves flawlessly. Your resume appearance and layout will indicate whether you possess these values, which is why an appealing but still formal, neat, and legible resume design is critical. You can use our resume templates to provide you with inspiration for designing a resume.
While you want to have lots of white space to make your document easy on the readers’ eyes, a drab white sheet will most likely be a turnoff. Add some edge to your resume by having a dark color like maroon, navy blue, or jungle green as a background color for one of the columns on the far left. A solicitor resume should not be distracting with too many brilliant colors or fonts either; choose one resume font like Calibri, Cambria, or Georgia in a legible font size. Use subheadings at the start of each section to make the resume easier to follow and bullets instead of paragraphs to maximize your resume’s readability. Use short, clear sentences to express yourself, proofread your resume, and then save it as a PDF.
Photos are not required while applying for a solicitor position; therefore, do not have one on your resume.
Sections of a Resume
Resume sections are formal arrangements that you will use to add the necessary career details onto your resume. Each section listed below is vital on a solicitor resume; they will all add you points and provide information that will help determine your suitability for the advertised post. Contact information: include your work contacts (email and phone number) for the panel to contact you
- Resume header: This can be your profession, i.e., solicitor. Write it in bold and capital letters to ensure it stands out and prevents loss or mix up with other documents
- Contacts: your panel will want to get in touch if they like what they see, so provide them with your name, location, ZIP code, email address, and current phone number.
- Resume professional summary: a 3-4 line section after the contacts in which you provide an overview of your career progress, achievements, and positive professional attributes.
- Work history: a detailed account of the jobs you have had in the past
- Academic background
- Additional skills and certifications: any other courses and skills that may edge out the competition
- Professional affiliations: professional associations or unions that you are a member of.
Your volunteer experience or internships will add some volume to your work experience section if you just graduated from school and have little experience. Your hobbies and interests are also optional but can be valuable if you are proficient in an area that the hiring firm has a CSR project in. Foreign languages are a definite plus for solicitors in international corporate law.
A solicitor resume should be one page long, but if your expertise spans more than a decade, writing two pages is also in order. Be brief and straight to the point, and avoid going below font size 11.
Solicitor Resume Section Headings
All the resume sections mentioned above are important for the document. Below are some additional tips for the resume summary statement and work experience sections, which carry more weight in your job application.
This is the first 3-4 line paragraph, where you briefly introduce yourself to the hiring managers. If you just graduated, a resume objective would be more to show the recruiters what they will gain from hiring you in terms of skills. You can also show them the direction you hope your career will take after joining the firm. If you have plenty of experience, leverage the time spent in the workforce, positive adjectives to describe your work ethic, quantifiable accomplishments, and a neutral tone.
The work experience section carries the most weight in a solicitor’s job application and will most likely be the first place the hiring manager will skim through. Tailor this section experience to match the job description, so that you equally appear as the perfect match for the position.
Add the job stints in reverse chronological order, starting with the job title, name, and location of the previous employer, then the period of tenure. Use a maximum of 7 short and clear bulleted points to show the recruiters the value you brought to previous employers. You can check our resume examples for what an effective work experience section should look like
Solicitor Resume Vocabulary & Writing Tips
Action verbs are a powerful tool in making your resume more compelling. They make the document less generic and clearer. Vocabulary will help you appear well-versed in your field’s dynamics. Below are some words that you can use to enrich your solicitor resume:
Words to Use
- Expungement requests
- Corporate law
- Financial statements
- Communication skills
- Corporate secretary
- Legal issues
- Motion hearing
1. Candidate seeking solicitor job
Diligent and performance-driven corporate solicitor with remarkable expertise in providing beneficial legal advice and represent both private and commercial clients in varying cases. Have over ten years of experience in the fast-paced world of corporate law and are looking to obtain a solicitor position with a modern legal firm.
- Offered legal advice to clients regarding all kinds of legal issues as per the firm’s high standards and policies
- Collaborated and communicated with solicitors from the Conveyancing department to facilitate a more proactive approach to improvements
- Supervised, mentored and trained a team of three young solicitors and delegated tasks to them
- Experience10 years
- LanguagesFluent in German, English, and Spanish
2. Candidate seeking solicitor job
Dedicated, confident, and diligent solicitor with remarkable communication skills as well as a strong sense of values and commitment to justice. Looking forward to joining a modern law firm that is committed to utilizing the law to provide justice to those in need.
- Interpreted laws and proceedings to firm clients
- Assisted in the drawing of contracts and legal documents
- Gathered evidence to initiate legal action
- Experience2 years
- Masters DegreeCorporate law