Poll Worker Resume Examples
Make a compelling poll worker resume with guidance from our professionally written examplesBuild your resume now
Professional Resume Samples for a Poll Worker
Take advantage of these resume samples to build yourself a great profile for your next job application
Poll Worker Resume Tips and Ideas
Poll workers are the people that man the polling stations during the election period and offer guidance to the electorate. While writing your poll worker resume, you want to show your ability to carry out the following general tasks associated with working effectively as a poll worker:
- Ensuring that people intending to vote are eligible
- Organize the polling station before the polls open
- Checking in and processing voters
- Answering voters’ queries and explaining the use of voting machines
- Maintaining order on election day at the polling stations
- Serving as an interpreter for voters that are do not understand English
- Assisting disabled voters
- Distributing ballot papers to voters
Your qualifications will depend on the position you intend to get. For instance, if you are in high school, you would have to be at least 16 and have the consent of your school principal or parent/guardian. To ensure that your resume is relevant for the position you want to get, you are advised to check your home county or state website to get precise requirements and qualifications. However, generally you should have good command of English, attention to fine detail, have excellent communication skills, integrity, confidentiality, and a high school diploma. You also need to be a registered voter in your respective county.
- Reverse chronological or functional.
- Use our online resume builders to create remarkable resumes in any of the above formats
- Neat resume design
- Margins and white space
- Formal appearance
- Resume fonts types and size
- Subheadings and bullets
- Contact information
- Resume professional summary
- Work history
- Education background
- Additional skills and certifications
- Additional languages
- Volunteer work
- Hobbies and interests
While writing your poll worker resume, you need to consider the best format to use to ensure that you highlight the right resume sections. The reverse chronological is a highly recommended resume format for individuals writing a resume with plenty of experience in election work or any other relevant area. This format ensures that the recruiters spot your work history and track your career progress by placing it at the beginning. If you are a high school student and this is most likely your first job, use the functional resume format instead. The functional format highlights your knowledge, skills, and positive attributes. Both of these resume formats are professional and highly recognized by HR recruiters; thus, they will be able to find the information they deem most important. Moreover, they are friendly on ATS.
Poll workers are relied on by the electorate to keep things going smoothly at the polls; thus, the recruiters will have stringent measures when it comes to selecting candidates. They will be looking for individuals with excellent organization skills and attention to detail, which is why you need to ensure you design a resume that is easy to read, well structured, and appealing. Your resume also needs to be flawless, with no spelling or grammatical errors.
If you are writing a resume for the first time, using professional templates is highly advised as they make designing a resume way easier. Ensure you choose a template that has plenty of white space and some minimalist color to make the document look less bland. While typing your resume, select one official font, and minimize excessive bold and underline formatting. Examples of resume fonts you can use include Arial and Calibri. You also need to have a subheading for each section and points rather than paragraphs to make the resume easier to skim through.
After you finish typing your career information, proofread your resume and save it in PDF format to conserve its layout.
Unless stipulated in the application requirements, do not add a photograph to the resume while applying for a poll worker job.
Sections of a Resume
In a poll worker job application, all the resume sections are essential. You are competing for very few positions with dozens of other able applicants, so leverage each position to make your case. In each section, be honest, transparent, and to the point. An effective poll worker resume must have the following resume sections:
- Resume header: ‘Poll worker’ write it in bold and uppercase letters and place it in the middle or upper left, so it is easily spotted
- Contact information: write your name without a title and location (city, state, ZIP code) followed by the contacts you use for professional correspondence (one email address and phone number). A LinkedIn profile is optional.
- Resume professional summary or career objective
- Work history/Professional background
- Academic background
- Additional skills and certifications: extra courses or abilities that are relevant and will help remove the competition
- Foreign language
Use your volunteer experience or internships to demonstrate your previous competencies in other positions if you have little experience.
A poll worker resume should only be one page long. Ensure that you leave out any unnecessary or irrelevant details to keep the resume brief and straight to the point. You also need to use columns to fit all your relevant details in the document.
Poll Worker Resume Section Headings
All the sections highlighted above are a must-have for an effective poll worker resume. however, you need to pay attention while writing the ones highlighted below as they carry the most points in your job application.
If you have prior experience in the election period, write it down to get you extra points, as it will make you a better asset and will help you train new entrants. You can also include your experience in other places; only make sure that you tailor them, so you appear capable of handling a poll worker’s responsibilities. Start with the most previous position you have held. Indicate the job title and grade/job group, name and location of employer, and dates of employment. You can use 3-7 bullets to show your duties in each work stint.
Your education section is especially helpful if you do not have plenty of experience or are applying for a student worker position in the polls. Highlight your academic achievements starting with the highest. You can also highlight your GPA and strong co-curricular and leadership activities you are active in at school.
Poll Worker Resume Vocabulary & Writing Tips
Use vocabulary and terms commonly used in the polls to make your resume more specific and impressive, you should also use action verbs in the work experience section as they make the document less bland.
Words to Use
- Polling station
- Voting location
- Voter records
- Electoral process
- Poling site
- Set up
1. Candidate seeking poll worker job
Motivated and able high school student looking to make my mark in this year’s electoral process by assisting at the Montclair Mayoral Polls. Proactive and brilliant student with a GPA of 3.2 and current chairperson of the school Math Club
- Served as an election assistant during the school president elections
- Participated in the math club for over three years first as secretary and now chairperson
- Achieved excellence at the Montclair Math marathon where I got the first position
- High schoolstudent
- Active in math cluband with a high GPA
2. Candidate seeking poll worker job
Capable poll worker with experience in a supervisory position at the recently concluded state polls. Have excellent communication skills, integrity and are fluent in Spanish and French plus the drive to ensure that voters have an optimal voting experience
- Oversaw the setup and disassembly of the polling station
- Ensured that polling proceeded according to established electoral process law and policy and secretary of state regulations
- Directed voters through the voting process and addressed their concerns and queries.
- Experiencein a polling station
- High schooldiploma