Ethical hacker Resume Examples
Get the best design for your job-winning ethical hacker resumeCreate your resume now
Professional Resume Samples for a Ethical hacker
Ethical hacker Resume Tips and Ideas
The more technology becomes adapted in everyday living, the closer the threat of a cyber attack gets. Black hat hackers are one of the main disadvantages of incorporating technology in the most sensitive areas of business operations, especially the healthcare or defense industry. Fortunately, ethical hackers exist. Ethical hackers are computer whizzes with the same remarkable skill at coding and system infiltration, only that they use their skills for good.
They are hired by both major and smaller corporations, government institutions, and research firms to identify vulnerabilities in their systems and fix them before a black hat hacker takes advantage of them.
An ethical hacker replicates a malicious hacker at work; instead of exploiting system loopholes maliciously, they recommend measures that can be taken to fix them.
Some of the roles of an ethical hacker include:
– Scanning systems for open ports using tools like Nmap and Nessus
– Patch examination to ensure that they are foolproof
– Social engineering approaches like dumpster diving (looking through recycle bins, sticky notes, and charts) for passwords and anything that a malicious hacker can use) and shoulder surfing
– Attempting to go through firewalls and Intrusion Prevention Systems to test their reliability
– Handling the consequences of laptop theft and rogue employees
– Remain updated on all threats as they emerge including viruses, Trojan horses and social engineering techniques
A hiring panel will generally want to bring on board an ethical hacker with remarkable skills in various programming and scripting languages, a Certified Ethical Hacker certification, and a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (computer science, engineering, programming and statistics).
If you are looking to land your next job as an ethical hacker, you need to craft a resume as outstanding as your skills to show the hiring panel that you are adequately qualified. If writing resumes is not your strong suit, you can use our online resume builders to build a great ethical hacker resume in just a few clicks.
You can use online resume templates to avail more information on the chronological resume format
Neat resume design
Margins and white space
Resume fonts types and size
Subheadings and bullets
- Contact information
- Resume professional summary
- Work history
- Education background
- Additional skills and certifications
- Programming languages
- Volunteer work
- Hobbies and interests
The best resume format for an ethical hacker resume is the reverse-chronological format. This format is widely recognized and accepted by HR formats and is friendly on ATS applications. Your hiring manager will know exactly where to look for a specific piece of information. Moreover, it places emphasis on the work experience section, which is the most important as far as the hiring panel is concerned.
Your resume design is a crucial factor in determining its quality and your organizational abilities as an ethical hacking professional. Your resume layout will make the first impression on the recruiters, so aim to please with a formal, neat, and outstanding resume design.
White space is important, as it makes the resume look neat and easy on the eyes. You can have plenty of it on the resume by having a 1-inch margin all around your resume and avoiding excessive bold and underline formatting.
Formal resume fonts like Calibri, Arial, or Georgia are recommended in sizes 11-13. Avoid using more than one font or font size for consistency and neatness. Use subheadings for each section to guide the hiring manager to specific resume sections. Finally, proofread your resume and save it in PDF format to conserve its design.
Photos are not required when applying for a job as an ethical hacker unless stipulated in the job application requirements. They are actually recommended against because they may predispose you to bias in the hiring process.
Sections of a Resume
Your resume sections help you to organize your details formally so that the recruiting panel can easily follow them. Each profession has different resume section requirements, but for an ethical hacker resume, these are mandatory:
- Contact information: include your professional email and phone number for the panel to contact you for an interview
- Resume professional summary: a 3-4 line section at the beginning of the resume where you introduce yourself to the hiring manager as a professional and provide a summary of your career achievements and abilities
- Work history
- Academic background
- Additional skills and certifications: any additional courses or competencies that you possess that will help edge out the competition
- Programming languages and ethical hacking tools that you are proficient with
The maximum length recommended for an ethical hacker resume is one A4 size page. Having a one-page resume prevents you from adding unnecessary details and bogging down the hiring manager with excess information. Be concise and straight to the point, and do not go below font size 11. Consider using columns to fit all your details onto the one page.
Ethical hacker Resume Section Headings
The work experience section is the area that most recruiters focus on. This is because your work history provides an insight into your career progress and achievements, and the value you have added to previous employers.
Failing to tailor the work experience section to suit what the prospective employers are looking for could make you miss out on the job. When writing this section, it is therefore important that you pore through the job description to ensure that the roles and responsibilities you add fit exactly what they want.
For each work entry, start with the job title you held, the name and location of the hiring company, and the period of tenure. Indicate the various responsibilities and achievements for each position held using 5-7 bullets.
The hiring managers will want to see where you got your skills and knowledge, therefore, be sure to pay attention to this section too. Start with your highest qualification (degree or diploma), the name and location of the college, and the years of study. If you are seeking an internship and are not done with school, indicate the year you are expected to graduate.
Ethical hacker Resume Vocabulary & Writing Tips
Using the right vocabulary and keywords is vital when writing your ethical hacker’s resume. This is mainly because the IT field is highly technical, and you need to show proficiency in your fields by using appropriate action verbs and vocabulary. These words also make your resume more impressive. Below is a list of action verbs and keywords for an ethical hacker’s resume:
Words to Use
- White hat hacking
- VAPT (vulnerability assessment and penetration testing)
- Social engineering
- Network security
- Login bypass
- System security
- Firewall evasion
- Perimeter defenses
- Security practices
- Data security
- Application security
- Independent and team work
1. Candidate seeking ethical hacker job
Diligent and expert ethical hacking professional with 4+ years of experience in ensuring Cybersecurity in a busy corporate environment. Has sound command of network security and the application of security tools like firewalls to ensure top cybersecurity for better business operations.
- Worked with top industry tools like Nessus and Acunetix vulnerability scanners
- Thoroughly analyzed the systems reports to filter out false positives and provided finished reports with true positives
- Performed vulnerability scans on company infrastructure (servers, network devices, and web applications)
- 4 yearsExperience
- EducationElectronics and communications engineering
- CertificationsCISCO security certification
2. Candidate seeking ethical hacker position
Brilliant and passionate ethical hacker with 2+ years of experience in a fast-paced corporate environment to ensure foolproof data security and optimal system performance. Proficient in IDS, IPS, MOD security for network security as well as excellent command of social engineering and Metasploit framework
- Performed regular system risk assessments as per company policy to ensure corporate compliance
- Assisted in the quarterly employment verification process
- Assisted in the conduction of on-site tests from an insider threat perspective
- 2 yearsExperience
- EducationBachelor's degree in IT