Au pair Resume Examples
These expertly written resume examples and resume writing tips will help you to create an exceptional au pair resumeBuild your resume now
Professional Resume Samples for an Au pair
The following resume samples from our resume experts will help you to create a profile so compelling that you will get more job interviews
Au pair Resume Tips and Ideas
Au pairs have plenty of opportunities to learn a new culture and earn cash offering care to children. As an au pair, your responsibilities will involve:
- Interacting with children and teaching them your culture
- Preparing and offering children meals and cleaning up after
- Bathing and dressing the kids as part of the early morning routine or otherwise
- Packing lunches and seeing children off to school
- Taking children to the park, zoo, or any other place
- Light duties associated with children, like their laundry and helping them keep their rooms tidy
An au pair’s job can be highly fulfilling, and to get a position as one, you need to write a compelling au pair resume to convince the family that you are capable of handling your tasks effectively. With our online resume builders, you will not have to design a resume from scratch, but with only a few clicks.
- Reverse chronological.
- You can use online resume templates to avail more information on the chronological resume format
- Neat, appealing, and formal resume design
- Margins and white space
- Resume fonts types and size
- Subheadings and bullets
- Minimalist colors
- Contact information
- Resume professional summary
- Work history
- Education background
- Additional skills and certifications
- Volunteer work
- Hobbies and interests
The resume format is essentially the order in which the information on your resume will follow. As a professional au pair with plenty of experience, you need a resume format that will highlight your work experience, as the hiring family will want someone with experience in childcare.
The reverse-chronological resume format is, therefore, your best bet for a highly effective Au pair resume. In this format, you will write your work experience right after your resume summary statement to ensure that it is easy to spot and read through. This resume format is also universally recognized as the standard for outstanding resumes, which is why you should use it.
Your resume design is critical, as it determines the recruiters’ first impression of you. Your resume will indicate your organization skills and attention to detail, which is why you require a flawless, appealing, and error-free resume design. Your resume should be legible and easy to skim through as well.
White space is a key component of an au pair resume; it ensures the document does not look stuffed and hard to read. You can increase white space by having a margin all around your resume and reducing underline and bold formatting.
As you write your details, use one font throughout your document for consistency. Formal resume fonts you can use include Arial, Georgia, and Calibri, in legible sizes like 12.
Use subtitles at the beginning of each section and bullet points to make your resume easier to skim through. You can use a dark color like navy blue or maroon as a column background color to enhance your resume’s appearance. Finally, proofread your resume and save it as a PDF to conserve its design across various reading devices.
Having a photo on your resume is highly advised against as it may predispose you to hire bias.
Sections of a Resume
Each resume section is important in determining your suitability for the job you are applying for. These sections also enable you to organize your professional details in a manner that is universally accepted by HR professionals. Below are the sections that you must include in your au pair resume:
- Resume title: your profession, i.e., Au Pair
- Contact information: Include your name without any title and current work contacts for the panel to contact you (email and mailing address, and phone number). A LinkedIn profile is optional.
- Resume professional summary: A summary of your professional abilities, specialization, positive qualities, and the period spent in the workforce. If you have little experience, use this section to show off your valuable skills and knowledge.
- Professional background
- Academic background
- Additional skills and certifications: any extra competencies that you possess and are relevant to the job requirements such as first aid and cooking skills
Your volunteerism can be helpful if you have little experience as an au pair. Your hobbies and interests are optional, though they can also add you more points if they coincide with your career.
An au pair resume should be one page long. Be as brief as you can while describing your details, especially the work experience section. You do not want to overwhelm the recruiter with excessive information. Again, do not go below font 11 as the resume will become illegible.
Au pair Resume Section Headings
The most vital part of your au pair resume is the work experience section. This is because this section illustrates the various duties you have fulfilled previously in childcare and will reveal your ability to handle new roles. As you write this section, make sure that you include all the roles indicated on the job description to ensure that you come across as a perfect match for the position.
A high school diploma is essential to get a position as an au pair. However, some clients will prefer that you have a post-secondary diploma in early childhood development or any other relevant position. This section is also important in proving your academic qualifications. Here, indicate your highest achievement first, followed by the college or school name and location, and years of study. If you have little experience, indicate any relevant courses or programs you have attended that are relevant to the job.
Some states may require you to pass a background check and show a record of immunizations to get an au pair job. Others may require that you have CPR and first aid certifications or even the Child Development Associate certification. If you have any of these, write them in order of the most recently received, organization that offered it and date of receipt. Other than licenses and certifications, include all other helpful skills that you have, such as art or a foreign language.
Au pair Resume Vocabulary & Writing Tips
While writing your au pair resume, you need to use the right resume action verbs and vocabulary. These words will make you appear better versed in your field and will make each section look less generic and impressive. Below is a list of words specifically chosen for an au pair’s resume.
Words to Use
- Safe environment
- Early childhood development
- Emotional care
- Child care
- Coping skills
1. Candidate seeking au pair job
Personable and reliable au pair with a proven track record for achieving excellence in providing care for infants, toddlers, pre-schoolers, and adolescents left in my care. Have remarkable communication skills are fluent in French and German.
- Maintained household cleanliness to provide a safe and comfortable play and learning environment for children
- Assisted children in developing basic hygiene, coping, and social skills
- Helped two teens coordinate their activities to include schoolwork and co-curricular activities.
- High schooldiploma
- CPRand first aid certification
- 2years experience
2. Candidate seeking au pair position
Efficient and passionate au pair with ten years of experience in offering high-quality care to children in varying cultural backgrounds. Have worked with dozens of children to inculcate positive behavior and general well being as well as taught English and French-speaking skills.
- Read stories and played games to expand children’s English and French vocabulary
- Accompanied children to the park, music and art festivals, and other beneficial activities
- Guided children to solve conflicts among friends and siblings to reinforce positive behavior
- Administered first aid and medication to children as required.
- Associate degreein ECD
- CPRand First Aid certified
- 10years experience